Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Yay! Winter Socks!

VS.







Recently, I was browsing the Facebook (yes I do have one and no I'm not ashamed of myself) and I stumble across the post with outrageous claim as "The best cold weather riding socks period", hmm the best you say, than I have to have those miraculous socks!! I proceed on their website to find out that the pair of knee-high socks cost $58 bucks....$58 bucks!!!

Well, apparently these socks are made from merino wool and possum fur, the company is called Pearly's Possum Socks. I was very curious how you come up with this shit to make socks out of possum and charge 58 bucks for a pair, so i did my research.

Apparently the possum fur is from New Zealand Brushtail Possum and the craft of making all kind of clothing has huge tradition down under. Unlike the American opossum the New Zealand possum is very cute. It is also considered as a pest (so do fur handlers say).



Anyhow, I browsed through several reviews of these socks and find out only positives such as "best socks I ever have","I want to make a love to these socks!" or just plain "fucking awesome", " so soft and warm" or "I'm never going to take these off".

The idea of warm feet in -20 degrees and softness of the socks got better out of me and I decided that I have to try these socks. Fortunately, I was not ready to shell out $58 for a pair and i started my  hunt for the same quality for better price. After little googeling, I finalized payment of just $23 for the pair of merino wool/ possum fur socks, which should be the same pleaser as the Pearly's Possum socks.

I bought couple pairs directly from New Zealand with only $7 in shipping. It has the same consistency of 45% merino wool, 40% possum fiber, 10% nylon/lycra, 5% Isofil as the Pearly's.
I might just need to wait for a while to get it, as New Zealand is not exactly next door.  :-)

Here is the link for Pearly's:
http://www.pearlyspossumsocks.com/products/moto-pearly

Here is the link where I bought the socks:
http://www.possummerinonz.com/collections/footwear/products/possum-comfort-top-sock

I will be updating this post with how these socks stacked up against Alaska winter once I get them and wear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment