Tuesday, December 22, 2015

45NRTH Wolvhammer


I have these boots for over a year and I cannot imagine winter biking without them. I'm not saying that your feet will not get chilly in 0 degree but you put pack of toe warmers in there and you are going to be toasty.
i was little worried about the bulkiness of the boots as compare to mountain biking shoes, but to be honest i do not even notice it.

45NRTH Wolvhammers are not the only winter boots in the lineup of the company. They also carry Japanther (Fasterkatt) and Wolfgar. Fasterkatt are more for fall riding and Wolfgar are full on freaking expedition to north pole in -50 degrees kind of fun.

Anyway back to the Wolvhammers, if you are considering to buy those I would recommend two sizes bigger boot than you usually wear. The reason for that is that you need to have a space for socks or toe warmers. I was little hesitant at first thinking that my feet will be loose in the boot, but with couple socks it fit perfectly. Even on the warmer days when i only use one thin sock i do not have any problems with loose foot in the boot. I'm using crank brothers candy and it is one smooth ins and outs of the clip.

Wolvhammers are also great in a hike-a-bike situation. I had to on multiple occasions walk through knee deep snow up and downs, while pushing the bike and I can tell you these boots are rugged and can take a beating. One thing I did not truly try is to see if it is waterproof. I had couple incidents where I had to bike through the overflows, but I never fully submerge it. On those wet occasions I did not experience any wetness inside my boot.

One little negative about the boots which i noticed is that in faster speeds, let's say about 15mph, and about 15 degrees i can feel the air breathing on my toes which will start to make your toes little chilly. So if you are planning to ride in cold temperatures in high speed or windy conditions than maybe you want to consider wearing over boot cover or toe warmers on the top of your toes (that is what i do).

Otherwise, I'm absolutely satisfy with these boots and i really do recommend for comfortable winter biking from 0-33 degrees. If it's colder than that you should go with Wolfgar and if it is warmer than that go with Japanther (Fasterkatt).

Here is the link for 45NRTH website:
http://45nrth.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment